Awareness May 24, 2018
Don’t let it leak into your home – Gas safety tips
Gas is a useful source of energy, but it is important to utilise it safely. Gas safety risks include; gas leaks, fires, explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning and lack of adequate ventilation. ER24 is reminding the public to be safety conscious when using gas cylinders during winter.
Take note of these tips regarding gas cylinders:
- If you smell the gas, close the valve and ensure that the cylinder is connected properly or have it checked by a reputable dealer. Do not attempt to repair any leaking valves or systems yourself.
- Only utilise gas appliances for their intended use.
- Be aware of small children around gas appliances.
- Always leave a window or ventilation shaft open to ensure adequate ventilation in the room.
- Do not use gas appliances in confined spaces.
- Purchasing of a gas cylinder should take place from a reputable/authorised dealer.
- Ensure that the logo on the valve seal matches the logo on the cylinder.
- Filling or exchanging your gas cylinder should be done at a place of purchase or through a reputable dealer.
- Service your gas cylinder regularly – approximately every two years or as stated by the manufacturer.
- If the cylinder has been disconnected and reconnected, make sure that the bullnose or O-ring is in place.
- Ensure that the hose is not perished, cracked or brittle.
- For large or fixed appliances, ensure that the installation is done by a licenced or registered installer.
- Before the gas cylinder is fitted, remember to ask for the installer’s card. This card identifies what they are qualified to do.
- Gas cylinders need to be installed one metre or more from a door or window.
Signs or symptoms from gas poisoning may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Eye and throat irritation
If you feel you have been exposed to a gas leak, evacuate the area and call emergency services.
For medical emergencies, contact ER24 on 084 124. Alternatively, for more safety tips and enquiries visit the LPGas Safety Association website at www.lpgas.co.za.