Going out under Lockdown Level 2
As we are preparing for life after lockdown, the responsibility of reducing the risk of being infected by or infecting other people with COVID-19 rests with us, everybody! It is now more important than ever to stay safe and do our best to prevent or minimise the risk of new outbreaks of COVID-19.
We need to continue following infection prevention and control guidelines. These include washing our hands regularly and properly with soap and water for 20 seconds according to the hand hygiene protocols, social distancing and universal masking.
Plan for your visit to places or shops, especially where crowds of people will gather, especially if you are in the vulnerable groups of our society.
When going to a restaurant, please try and check their website or social media to establish whether they have posted any updates and precaution measures to address COVID-19.
- Should the restaurant have a temporary register of customers, ensure that you complete it.
- Continue to wear a mask when you are less than 1.5 meters away from other people, and when you are not eating.
- If at all possible, choose outside tables.
- Upon entering the restaurant, please sanitise your hands or wash for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. It is good practice to keep a small hand sanitiser bottle or sanitising wipes with you.
- When you visit the restroom, ensure that there are soap and paper towels or alcohol-based hand sanitiser available.
- Try and keep your booking small. Adhere to the regulations as set out for the number of people that may gather in a group.
- Avoid using communal cutlery that generally stands in a container on the table. Ask for cutlery with your meal.
Attending small gatherings or events (limited to 50 people under Lockdown Level 2 Regulations)
- If you are sick, have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are still waiting on your test results, do not attend gatherings or events with other people, and maintain isolation/ quarantine guidelines.
- Check with the host of the event/gathering whether any COVID-19 safety precaution measures have been put in place to reduce the risk for transmission.
- Keep your social distance of at least 1.5 meters at all times from people who do not live with you.
- Wear your mask when interacting with other people, especially during activities such as singing, shouting and laughing.
- Practice hand-hygiene protocols (washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or using an alcohol-based sanitiser).
- Refrain from using shared cutlery and utensils. If disposable items are available, instead use those.
- It is essential to adhere to gathering and events regulations as these will be limited under Lockdown Level 2.
[A gathering or event in this instance may be that of a religious gathering, a funeral, visiting friends at their home, restaurants or small approved events and conferences.]
Visiting beaches and pools
The same safety precautions need to be adhered to as for visitation to other crowded places.
- Continue to wash your hands with soap and water as frequently as possible and refrain from sharing items with people you do not share a household.
- Adhere to social distancing of at least 1.5 meters.
- Ensure that you bring an extra mask (if the one gets wet), hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol and wipes or tissues.
- Please ensure that you wear a mask when you are not in the water, especially when it is difficult to maintain physical distance. Keep at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- Try and stay away from crowded swim areas where you cannot maintain your social distance.
Take precautionary steps when returning home from shops or outdoor activities, especially if you have members of our vulnerable population living with you:
- Wash your hands!
- Remove your shoes outside of your house.
- Change your clothes before you have close contact with your family at home.
What is allowed under Lockdown Level 2?
- Interprovincial travel will be allowed, without restrictions
- Hotels and guest houses can allow leisure travellers.
- The cigarette ban will be completely lifted.
- Bars, shebeens and taverns will be allowed to operate.
- Alcohol will be permitted for on-site consumption in licensed establishments only
- Liquor outlets will be allowed to sell alcohol for off-site consumption from Monday to Thursday during the hours of 09:00 to 17:00 only
- Family and social interactions will be allowed, but limited to 10 people
- Gyms and fitness centres can reopen
- Parks, beaches and natures reserves will be open for outdoor activity
For detailed information, click here to download the Government Gazette No. 43620 Vol. 662 of 17 August 2020.