Make it click – buckle up
Safety first. Always. That is why wearing a seatbelt while driving in a vehicle is of utmost importance. Even if you are just going around the block. Even if you consider yourself a great driver. Accidents can happen at any time. Children are extremely vulnerable in collisions. Children should be seated in the car and in a car seat if possible. Never travel with your child on your lap. Never share a seatbelt with your child. Your child or any child has no say or choice not to wear a seatbelt, it is the responsibility and legal obligation of the driver to make sure they wear it. It just a takes a few seconds to buckle up to help save a life.
According to Russel Meiring, ER24’s Communications Officer, buckling up is the easiest thing to do to potentially save a life. Yet, people choose to ignore this.
What happens when you don’t wear a seatbelt?
- You can be ejected from the vehicle.
- You can go head first into the windshield.
- Your chest can crash into the dashboard/steering column.
- Your legs can go into the dashboard.
- People not restrained in the back can be thrown from the vehicle.
- You can also suffer severe neck injuries due to whiplash.
Meiring further states that “these injuries could potentially be avoided if people just buckle up”.