Mental Health Awareness Month – Panic Disorder Friday Facebook Chat

  • 365
  • 0
If you would like to learn more about breathing techniques, meditation, self-help tips and re-framing your thoughts while having a Panic Attack. Dr. Colinda Linde and Bradley Drake are experts in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Panic. They will be available to answer all your questions and thoughts on Panic Today on our Facebook Friday online chat. They will be available at 1pm with Dr. Linde and at 7pm with Bradley Drake.
If you have a fear of driving, going in an elevator, public spaces, or are even fearful of snakes and spiders, you may have a Panic Disorder.
When you experience these as a threat, we sometimes run for safety, or avoid thesituation or place, thus giving us some relief. If you feel faint, start to sweat, have blurred vision, start to shake or even tremble, you could be experiencing a Panic Attack.
Overtime these fears become so strong that you sometimes completely avoid the place or situation where you initially developed the fear, this may lead to social avoidance, and you also may not want to go to restaurants, shopping malls or even leave your house.
The good news is that Panic Disorder is a highly treatable condition. With the right combinations of therapy, 90% of people recover greatly. Even the remaining 10% can  experience significant recovery.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PANIC DISORDER
  • Sudden and repeated attacks of fear, what may feel like a heart attack
  • A feeling of being out of control during the attack
  • An intense worry about when the next attack will happen
  • A fear or avoidance of places where panic attacks have occurred in the past
  • Physical symptoms during an attack, such as a pounding or racing heart, sweating, breathing problems, weakness or dizziness, feeling hot or a cold chill, tingly or numb hands, chest pain or stomach pain

If you feel a panic attack coming and need help with coping, call The South African Depression and Anxiety Group’s (SADAG) toll-free helpline on 0800 33 33 77 and a Counsellor will help you step by step, breath by breath until the panic attack is over.

Related Articles

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required!